Octanews domain down?
Winston
2009-02-02 12:38:39 UTC
Has octanews moved? I keep getting 'this domain has epired' page?
Anyone know anything?
Max
2009-02-02 13:09:58 UTC
Post by Winston
Has octanews moved? I keep getting 'this domain has epired' page?
Anyone know anything?
Right now I'm connecting to the site. I have no idea why someone had
issues. Anyone else still getting that error?

Bye :-)
Max

Replace lucos.ut with lycos.it in the signature
Max
2009-02-02 14:38:32 UTC
Post by Winston
Has octanews moved? I keep getting 'this domain has epired' page?
Anyone know anything?
Now I'm getting this error too. Besides for some reasons Agent
connects to the newsserver but GrabIt doesn't. :-?

Max
2009-02-02 14:41:31 UTC
Post by Max
Now I'm getting this error too. Besides for some reasons Agent
connects to the newsserver but GrabIt doesn't. :-?
Now GrabIt connects again regularly.
Has anyone e-mailed Mike about the web site problem?

Mutlley
Yes. See if the email works as the domain has gone..
Lenny_Nero
2009-02-04 01:05:15 UTC
Mutlley said
Post by Mutlley
Post by Max
Now I'm getting this error too. Besides for some reasons Agent connects
to the newsserver but GrabIt doesn't. :-?
Now GrabIt connects again regularly.
Has anyone e-mailed Mike about the web site problem?
Bye :-)
Max
Replace lucos.ut with lycos.it in the signature
Yes. See if the email works as the domain has gone..
I have had no problems connection to the server or website, the plat. key
does need to be renewed, I seemed to remember that this often took longer
than needed, hence the reason why some might have problems getting in.

But as with ANY Octa problem talking among friends or on newsgroups will
not get the problem fixed as quick as an e-mail to the right place.

I e-mailed as soon as I heard others were having problems.

As for the domain being down and the talk that Octa has gone, those that
have never forgot to do something please feel free to keep on talking
about it. Mike does more than just run octanews for the few that seem to
have problems at every turn or try to use non standard tools, or tools not
fit for purpose.

L_N
Imagine if there were no hypothetical situations...
James UK
2009-02-04 02:08:29 UTC
Post by Lenny_Nero
I have had no problems connection to the server or website,
Are you still able to connect and get messages as of today? I can ping the server OK, but no connection
on any port at the moment still.
--
HTH

Regards

James UK
See http://www.pricelesswarehome.org
for recommended Freeware software.
Lenny_Nero
2009-02-04 22:10:41 UTC
James UK said
Post by James UK
Post by Lenny_Nero
I have had no problems connection to the server or website,
Are you still able to connect and get messages as of today? I can ping
the server OK, but no connection on any port at the moment still.
As per my norm I use my Octanews account to read and post text to usenet.

If others are having problems (we all know that there are a few that cant
ever seem to get anything to work for them) I cant understand why I am
not. This might be my own version and quite hacked about reader (Pan) but
I have changed nothing in the connection areas.

I am also using BNR 3, and stopped using SSL (port 563) in case that was
some reason that was why I did not have the same problems, and have been
using that basic DNS name via port 119 for bins and text.

The web site is working fine apart from the account login/Platypus thing
which I expect will be fixed soon, I e-mailed some time last night.

I am also in the UK, if that is of some help.

L_N
Imagine if there were no hypothetical situations...
Mutlley
2009-02-05 00:21:59 UTC
Post by Lenny_Nero
James UK said
Lenny_Nero leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before typing in
Post by Lenny_Nero
[...]
Hi Lenny,

Looks like Octa with the exception of the Platypus account is up and
running correctly . Don't know if the binary completion issues have
been sorted yet.. Will try that tonite when I get home..
James UK
2009-02-05 02:49:59 UTC
Lenny_Nero leapt out of the bath and screamed "EUREKA!" before
typing in octanews.general:

<snip>
Post by Lenny_Nero
As per my norm I use my Octanews account to read and post text to usenet.
If others are having problems (we all know that there are a few
that cant ever seem to get anything to work for them) I cant
understand why I am not. This might be my own version and quite
hacked about reader (Pan) but I have changed nothing in the
connection areas.
I am also using BNR 3, and stopped using SSL (port 563) in case
that was some reason that was why I did not have the same
problems, and have been using that basic DNS name via port 119 for
bins and text.
The web site is working fine apart from the account login/Platypus
thing which I expect will be fixed soon, I e-mailed some time last
night.
I am also in the UK, if that is of some help.
L_N
Many thanks for all that. It gave me the "tools" to work out where my problem lay; I believe it was the
DNS entries for Octanews within OpenDNS; a free service I've been using for a while. That would explain
why I could ping the server but not connect by name, (or direct IP at the time, either) and probably the
mis-direction for the http: address.

Ironically, when I went to test it just now without using OpenDNS' proxy servers to reproduce it, and via a
different browser, their home page loaded fine. Double checking in Firefox with OpenDNS settings and it
also loads fine today.

Perplexed, I tried to connect once again via Xnews to news.octanews.com on 119 and it works once
again.

Anyway, with your input, I think I got to the root of it. ;-)

Thanks again.

James UK
2009-02-05 02:51:30 UTC
Post by Lenny_Nero
Imagine if there were no hypothetical situations...
"Milkman: please leave two extra pints today.

Oh, If this note has blown away, please knock instead"

Max
2009-02-02 17:01:19 UTC
Post by Winston
Has octanews moved? I keep getting 'this domain has epired' page?
Anyone know anything?
Now I see the web site again but I'm having some problems in
connecting to the newsserver.

Wilbur Hubbard
2009-02-02 20:12:09 UTC
Post by Max
Post by Winston
Has octanews moved? I keep getting 'this domain has epired' page?
Anyone know anything?
Now I see the web site again but I'm having some problems in
connecting to the newsserver.
Bye :-)
Max
Replace lucos.ut with lycos.it in the signature
Looks like the domain has been allowed to expire. Using <news.octanews.com>
give a connect error. Try using 204.153.245.20 instead. It works for me.

Wilbur Hubbard
The Doctor

Bert Hyman
2009-02-02 21:04:26 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Domain expired...so is Octanews now officially dead?
It's been renewed through Feb 2, 2010.
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN ***@iphouse.com
Mutlley
2009-02-02 23:20:00 UTC
Still can't seem to access via Agent. Ok via BNR
Mutlley
2009-02-02 23:02:26 UTC
Yep. Good news.. Guess with the Super bowl and all Mike forgot :-)
Joe
2009-02-03 10:17:21 UTC
Post by Winston
Has octanews moved? I keep getting 'this domain has epired' page?
Anyone know anything?
The domain is working here but when trying to login to my account I
get the following message:

A problem has been detected with your Platypus Activation Key. The
following error was reported:

Your Platypus Activation key has expired. Please contact Boardtown via
***@boardtown.com to get a new key!
Mutlley
2009-02-03 19:36:43 UTC
Post by Joe
Post by Winston
Has octanews moved? I keep getting 'this domain has epired' page?
Anyone know anything?
The domain is working here but when trying to login to my account I
A problem has been detected with your Platypus Activation Key. The
Your Platypus Activation key has expired. Please contact Boardtown via
Yep. He didn't get that bit done it looks like . However this
morning I can't seem to download message body or sent to this group
via Octanews. Ok via teranews which I am temporarily using..